Hot off the press: Apply to join a SAEM Committee

I often get asked the questions:
  • How does one become successful in academics?
  • How can I get to know other EM faculty across the country?
  • How can I make a difference in academics?
I can only answer from my personal experience, and that is:
  • Join a national organization such as SAEM, ACEP, AAEM, CORD, CDEM and become active in committee work.
Dr. Wendy Coates (Harbor-UCLA) first hooked me into the SAEM Undergraduate Medical Education Committee (UMEC) in 2001. I was straight out of residency. From there, I met many people with whom I still collaborate on various education and educational research projects.

Since then this committee has morphed into Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine (CDEM), and I was able to help launch this new group purely because I just happened to "be around". For example, as I was just finishing an UMEC meeting at 4 pm, I was randomly invited by Dr. Dave Wald (Temple) and Dr. Dave Manthey (Wake Forest) to join a small informal dinner in 2007. This group eventually became the inaugural CDEM Executive Board in 2008 and I somehow became Vice-Chair. How? Still not exactly sure.

The (in)famous Le Cote Brasserie restaurant in
Boston where the idea of CDEM was first conceived.


Interestingly a lot of my successes happened because I serenditipously was "around" and seated at the table. If I were to write a book, the title would be - Winning by Sitting Down.

A few other examples:
  • From the UMEC, I was asked to join the SAEM Education Research Task Force during 2002-05.
  • From my collaborations with Dr. Jim Olsen (Wright State) on the Education Research TF, I got nominated and was elected to join the SAEM Nomination Committee during 2007-09. I got to meet some bigwig faculty on the SAEM Board of Directors.
  • As the Chair of the UMEC in 2006-08, I was part of an off-shoot ED Overcrowding Task Force, where I met Dr. Brent Asplin (one of the gurus on this topic). Also I had the pleasure of finally working with one of my favorite people Dr. Philip Shayne (Emory) on a paper discussing ED crowding and the impact on education. It got me hooked into educational research assessing how crowding impacts bedside teaching.
  • As an active member of CORD, I met Dr. Mary Jo Wagner (Synergy). At an ACEP meeting a few years ago, she asked me if I was interested in a new column for ACEP News on "Tricks of the Trade". Not sure why she asked me, but I know a great opportunity when it lands in your lap! I have been writing this column for the past 3 years now.
So you can see how things just snowball, just by your being around. I am a poor "schmoozer" and hate blatant networking. So if I can do it, you certainly can become active on the national level. It is truly amazing how many great opportunities are out there - just by occupying a seat at the table.

So, come and take a seat! SAEM just opened its online application, which is due Jan 22, 2010. Faculty and residents are also eligible to apply. Here are the committee choices:


The application is short and sweet. Take a look.

online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating