"Read More" feature: Making the site more professional-looking

Since starting this pilot blog project about 11 months ago (!), I've been keeping up with various "so you want to be a good blogger" advice sites. I have gained some invaluable insight into this crazy world of Web 2.0 and maintaining an active blog.

Some tips that I've learned include:
  • Write only about what you know about.
  • Be passionate about your topic. If you are NOT excited, your readers won't be either.
  • Maintain some regularity to your posts so that readers know when to check back for new material. This may be daily, weekly, or monthly. That's why my site follows a Mon-Fri templated schedule.
  • At the top of the page, briefly describe what your website is all about.
  • Keep the layout uncluttered.
  • Get your own website address. Don't be a subdomain. OK, I didn't follow this rule since I'm too lazy to pay money or figure out how to do this. For now, I'm content with using Blogspot. I may reassess later, if this blog grows any bigger.
I just learned that blogs should provide readers with a snapshot glimpse of the most recent posts without having to scroll too much.

In the past, I've listed the 5 most recent entries in full length on the home page. This makes the page rather long. There's lots of scrolling. One thing I learned from www.problogging.com is that I should only post the first few sentences of each day's entry on the front page. If readers want to explore more, they can click on a "Read More" link.

Building these "Jump Breaks" are easily done on Blogger by adding the HTML code
at the breakpoint that you want. Whereever you embed this code, Blogger knows to insert "Read More..." at that point. By clicking on the link, the entire entry will open up.

Thus starting yesterday, my site has incorporated this feature. Let me know what you think.

online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating