Trick of the Trade: Email attachment etiquette



In academia, I find that .edu accounts have limited email storage capacity. Every months or so, I need to move some emails to my hard drive and empty my Sent Items and Trash folder.

What takes up SO much space in my inbox?
  • Ginormous powerpoint files
  • Videos
  • PDF documents
  • Photos
Trick of the Trade:
As an email etiquette, I send LINKS to large files. These files are housed elsewhere. This minimizes jamming up people's inboxes. It also allows the recipient to easily send the link to others.

Several options:

Google Sites
  • A free Google Sites account allows you to upload a file up to 10 MB in size. Choose "Copy Link Address" and paste the URL link into your email. This might look like:


Box.net
  • For larger files, you can use various third-party companies, such as www.box.net. It allows you to create folders and personalize which files/folders you want to share. File size limit is 20 MB (for free account).

Dropbox
  • For much larger size files (>20 MB), I use www.Dropbox.com. With a free account, you get 2 GB of total storage space. The nice thing about the cloud-based Dropbox is that your files are automatically sync'd between your hard drive Dropbox folder, your online Dropbox account, and your mobile computer device app (iPhone, eg). Plus, you can share any files/folders with others.
  • I minimize using Dropbox, especially for the one-time sharing of files, because I use Dropbox as my primary repository of files. I'm getting close to the 2 GB storage limit.

As an aside, if you decide to sign up for a free Dropbox account, could you use this referral link?

Do you have any tricks or tips on emailing large files?

online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating