What lead is the most overlooked on the EKG?
Lead aVR can provide some unique insight into 5 different conditions:
- Acute MI
- Tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) and TCA-like overdose
- AVRT in narrow complex tachycardias
- Differentiating VT from SVT with aberrancy in wide complex tachycardias by using the Vereckei criteria (possibly better than Brugada criteria)
See other Paucis Verbis cards.
- EM-RAP episode on ST elevation in aVR, featuring Amal Mattu nuggets of wisdom
- LifeInTheFastLane blog post on ST elevation in aVR
- Kireyev D, Arkhipov MV, Zador ST, Paris JA, Boden WE. Clinical utility of aVR-The neglected electrocardiographic lead. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2010 Apr;15(2):175-80. .
- Riera AR, Ferreira C, Ferreira Filho C, Dubner S, Barbosa Barros R, Femenía F, Baranchuk A. Clinical value of lead aVR. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2011 Jul;16(3):295-302. .
- Vereckei A, Duray G, Szénási G, Altemose GT, Miller JM. New algorithm using only lead aVR for differential diagnosis of wide QRS complex tachycardia. Heart Rhythm. 2008 Jan;5(1):89-98. .
- Williamson K, Mattu A, Plautz CU, Binder A, Brady WJ. Electrocardiographic applications of lead aVR. Am J Emerg Med. 2006 Nov;24(7):864-74. .