Filter it: Keeping up with digital information overload


I haven’t found a way of keeping up with all the information out there, even with textbook reading. I don’t know if there is way.

Tools:
  • Blogs RSS feeds: Google reader (http://www.google.com/reader)
  • Podcasts: Downcast app (www.downcastapp.com)
  • Stay in touch, network, and have instant discussions: Twitter, Google+
The only way that the content in these resources are relevant to me is after having a good foundation with textbook reading and reading journal articles. This is Seth Trueger (@MDAware) take on the cautionary use of social media.

I used to listen to podcasts in my car mostly on the way to work and on the way back (Always pay attention to the road). I read new blog posts (especially the short ones) while on breaks, waiting in line, etc. I use freemergencytalks.net by Joe Lex for specific lectures, mostly on patient-centered topics to see how I can improve my practice. 

I am very, very selective. My selection process:

  • Who is the author?
  • Is this up to date?
  • Is this relevant to my practice? 
  • Is it relatively short? 
If a posts is really long and it’s an essay on everything on that has to do with topic I don’t read it, I just go to the textbook. I love posts and podcasts that deal with a specific question, is conversational, casual, yet informative.



Other resources about filtering which are worth looking at:
Here are some of the top resources that I filter through: 

The key for me is I know where to go when I have a specific question that needs to be answered. I filter the information, make sure I have a good knowledge background, and have fun. I hope this helps. 
_____________________________

Lisa B. Marshall on communication overload: Although she is commercially sponsored (I have no affiliation), I think she gives good, and succinct advice. (Part 1Part 2)
online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating online dating chat rooms,free online dating chat,online dating chat tips,dating sites chat,chat avenue dating,online games dating,online chat singles,love dating